subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Foad <julianf...@btopenworld.com>
Subject --strict vs --no-newline
Date Mon, 09 Jun 2014 16:39:10 GMT
'--no-newline' and '--strict' options more consistent.

For a long time we had:

  * svnversion --no-newline
    Suppresses the newline after the revision number.
    Help: "do not output the trailing newline".

  * svn propget --strict
    Suppresses the newline after the prop val.
    Help: "don't print an extra newline".

Originally, 'svn propget --strict' also suppressed the printing of the file name, hence its
name being rather general, but in recent years the option is not allowed where more than one
result is possible (multiple targets, or depth > empty) nor with --verbose.

With the new-in-1.8(?) '--show-inherited-props' option, 'svn propget --strict' will suppress
the newline and the printing of the filename when printing the (multiple) inherited properties
for a single target path. That means the property values are all squashed together, and this
seems to be a non-useful behaviour, an oversight. I think it should reject the '--strict'
option when showing inherited properties, like for the other cases that can produce multiple
outputs.

More recently, we gained an 'svn youngest' command, which takes a '--no-newline' option. In
r1601362 today, I added the '--no-newline' to 'svnlook youngest', for consistency with the
new 'svn youngest'.

Now I intend to:

  * make 'svn propget --strict --show-inherited-props' error out;

  * make 'svn propget --no-newline' an alias for 'svn propget --strict'.

How to do the latter, exactly? Either make '--strict' an option-name alias for '--no-newline',
in which case 'svn youngest --strict' will become an available option; or keep the two options
separate and have 'propget' accept both (with the same behaviour) and 'youngest' only accept
'--no-newline'. Which is the cleaner UI, the one with fewer invocation options for the user
or the one with fewer irregularities?

Thoughts?

- Julian

--
Join WANdisco's free daily demo sessions on Scaling Subversion for the Enterprise
<http://www.wandisco.com/training/webinars>