subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <br...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: svn cleanup and unreferenced pristines
Date Sat, 11 Jan 2014 21:38:51 GMT
On 11.01.2014 10:30, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> On 2014-01-10 14:11:08 -0500, C. Michael Pilato wrote:
>> Just a reminder that there can be performance benefits to not being too
>> aggressive in our pristine purging, since update-style operations will
>> consult the pristine cache before slurping file contents from the
>> server.
> If the working copy is the on same machine as the server, this doesn't
> make much sense to keep unreferenced pristines.

Sure, but that setup is not really common.

> Moreover if you want to speed up things, keeping pristines may not
> be the right way (in particular if the whole files are kept, not
> deltas).

FWIW, you can't reasonably store pristines as deltas because you'd have
to recalculate them every time someone changes the file in the working
copy; and moreover, there's no foolproof way to detect when the WC files
are being changed in time to do that. You'd need support from the OS
filesystem for that (and I don't mean just file change notifications but
copy-on-write per-file snapshots).

> Caching the repository or a part of the repository may be better.

That's exactly what pristines are.

-- Brane

--
Branko ─îibej | Director of Subversion