subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Markus Schaber <m.scha...@codesys.com>
Subject AW: unable to commit in linked subdirectory of repository checkout
Date Mon, 03 Jun 2013 11:31:08 GMT
Hi, Peter,

Von: Peter Weinert [mailto:peter.weinert@gns-mbh.com]

> system: linux
> subversion: v1.7.x
>
> this problem starts when using version 1.7 of subversion.
> until 1.6 every sub-dir had its own '.svn', so wherever i was, all
> information to commit update was available.
> now there's only one, where one checked out the repo.

In my eyes, the fact that SVN changed to a single .svn directory is a big advantage, brings
SVN on par to other RCSes in this area, and should not be reverted back. :-)

Additionally, SVN normally finds its way up to the working copy root when you issue a command
in a subdirectory (try it by cd'ing to the destination of your symlink and then issuing the
commit command there), so this change itself is not the cause for your problems.

> this is problematic when having somewhere else a symbolc-link to a sub-dir of
> that checkout.
> it's impossible to do anything with svn on that link because svn can't find
> the repository data and always returns:
>
> svn: E155007: ' .... filename ..... ' is not a working copy
>
> because of many automated process / web-server-scripts / etc. that access the
> data in our case, it would be very beneficient if such things would still be
> possible with svn 1.7... otherwise  we'd be stuck with last release of v1.6,
> because it would mean to rewrite a very large amount of scripts to adapt to
> such changes...

What's the exact use case of using those symlinks?

Could you add a wrapper shell script which follows the symlink by changing the current directory
to its destination, and then issue the command from there?

Or resolve the symlink, and pass the absolute destination path to the SVN command?

> suggestion: have a symbolic link (on supported systems, like linux, unix,
> etc.) that points to the .svn-dir where the base-path of the checkout can be
> determined and therefore the repositry-url, etc.

Adding those symbolic links seems to clutter the working directories for a questionable benefit
(e. G. imagine someone moving or renaming a subdirectory of a WC using shell commands - the
contained symlink would be broken than, and confuse SVN and users even more.

Best regards

Markus Schaber

CODESYS(r) a trademark of 3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH

Inspiring Automation Solutions

3S-Smart Software Solutions GmbH
Dipl.-Inf. Markus Schaber | Product Development Core Technology
Memminger Str. 151 | 87439 Kempten | Germany
Tel. +49-831-54031-979 | Fax +49-831-54031-50

E-Mail: m.schaber@codesys.com | Web: http://www.codesys.com | CODESYS store: http://store.codesys.com
CODESYS forum: http://forum.codesys.com

Managing Directors: Dipl.Inf. Dieter Hess, Dipl.Inf. Manfred Werner | Trade register: Kempten
HRB 6186 | Tax ID No.: DE 167014915