subversion-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1441814 - in /subversion/trunk/subversion: svn/ tests/cmdline/
Date Sun, 03 Feb 2013 08:18:25 GMT
As another data point, I have hit this text-as-binary myself just a few
weeks ago when I added a bunch of HTML files to a local repository - so,
it's definitely occurring automatically.  I did not have a chance to dig
into why the magic detection failed so miserably...  -- justin

On Saturday, February 2, 2013, Bert Huijben wrote:

>
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: stsp@apache.org <javascript:;> [mailto:stsp@apache.org<javascript:;>
> ]
> > Sent: zaterdag 2 februari 2013 23:05
> > To: commits@subversion.apache.org <javascript:;>
> > Subject: svn commit: r1441814 - in /subversion/trunk/subversion: svn/
> > tests/cmdline/
> >
> > Author: stsp
> > Date: Sat Feb  2 22:04:44 2013
> > New Revision: 1441814
> >
> > URL: http://svn.apache.org/viewvc?rev=1441814&view=rev
> > Log:
> > When a binary mime-type is set on a file that looks like a text file,
> > make the 'svn' client print a warning about potential future problems
> > with operations such as diff, merge, and blame.
> >
> > This is only done during local propset for now, because the file needs
> > to be present on disk to detect its mime-type.
> >
> > See for related discussion: http://mail-
> > archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/subversion-
> > dev/201301.mbox/%3C20130131185725.GA13721%40ted.stsp.name%3E
>
> From my users I hear that another way this property is introduced is via
> conversions from other version management systems. Visual SourceSafe (long
> dead, but still used in a lot of small shops) marks UTF-8 files with a BOM
> as binary when it does an auto detect.
> (Well what would you guess for a system that wasn’t really updated since
> that format became popular)
>
> Most conversion tools just copy the binary flag, and there you have this
> problem on all your historic utf-8 files.
> (Where I worked we had this problem on all .xml files previously stored in
> sourcesafe).
>
>
> I don't see a lot of users accidentally adding invalid properties
> themselves.
>
>         Bert
>
>

Mime
View raw message