subversion-dev mailing list archives

From "C. Michael Pilato" <cmpil...@collab.net>
Subject Re: Coniguring 301/302 redirects to track an fspath rename
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2013 15:13:08 GMT
On 02/05/2013 07:16 AM, Johan Corveleyn wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 10:43 AM, Bert Huijben <bert@qqmail.nl> wrote:
>> This is all inside a repository... so we are talking about an update that
>> should perform a switch help a user'... But we can’t break history, or
>> switching between old or future revisions.
>
> So, aren't we actually talking then about a new feature "make update
> able to follow moves of wc root"? Wouldn't that solve the problem for
> the ASF (no redirects etc. involved)?

[...]

> Wouldn't it be nice if 'update' could move (or switch) the entire
> working copy automatically if the wc root gets renamed / moved? Or a
> parent of the wc root?
>
> Not saying that this is easy or that I have something significant to
> contribute, just ... it would be nice :-).

Glad to see I'm not the only one who has realized that all this talk about
"relocate" is completely off-base.  :-)

Yes, I think it's reasonable to consider that 'svn update' should be able to
follow a rename.  That's one of the many benefits that I envisioned that
forward history searching capabilities in the repository would provide.

--
C. Michael Pilato <cmpilato@collab.net>
CollabNet   <>   www.collab.net   <>   Enterprise Cloud Development