subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Barrett <...@cequrux.com>
Subject Re: [bug] detect-merge-conflicts.sh reports false positive merge conflict markers
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2013 07:34:09 GMT
On Wed, 20 Feb 2013, Matthias Buecher / Germany wrote:
> I tested on Debian 6.0 Squeeze and on Sourceforge Redhat server.
> Just installed FreeBSD 9.0 in a VM and sed on FreeBSD needs a
> semicolon to separate last command and closing bracket.

Semicolon might often work, but the portable syntax requires a newline.

See
<http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/utilities/sed.html>,
which includes:

     The <right-brace> shall be preceded by a <newline> and can be
     preceded or followed by <blank> characters.

and:

     Historically, the sed ! and } editing commands did not permit
     multiple commands on a single line using a <semicolon> as a
     command delimiter. Implementations are permitted, but not
     required, to support this extension.

--apb (Alan Barrett)