subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan K√ľng <tortoise...@gmail.com>
Subject thread safe
Date Mon, 03 Sep 2012 18:47:59 GMT
Hi,

It seems that the svn_config_t structure isn't thread safe, i.e. can't
be shared among multiple threads.
See here for a detailed report on what problems this causes:
http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=757&dsMessageId=3003152

Is this by design? I assumed that all svn APIs are thread safe for read
access at least unless noted otherwise (example: the API
svn_utf_initialize states its thread-unsafeness in the note section of
the docs).

While we can work around that thread problem a little bit, that
workaround has its own big problems:
* each thread would need its own svn_config_t structure
   --> for each thread the config file is read (open, read, close)
   which results in multiple unnecessary disk accesses
   --> when the config file is read multiple times, sometimes the read
   fails (at least on Windows) because the file is opened already -
   usually because virus scanners open and scan every file that a
   process accesses, even when only for reading.

Joel Jirak made a patch for subversion/libsvn_subr/config.c which would
fix the problem (see the thread linked above). Would that be an
acceptable solution?

Stefan

--
        ___