subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Branko Čibej <br...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Master passphrase approach, authn storage, cobwebs in C-Mike's head, ...
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2012 00:04:41 GMT
On 16.04.2012 20:05, C. Michael Pilato wrote:
> On 04/16/2012 12:33 PM, Thomas Åkesson wrote:
>> Personally, the feature to manually move/copy the encrypted store is definitely useful,
but I do consider some other features of the Desktop-integrated storage APIs significantly
more value-adding (I mostly use OSX Keychain):

>>  - Unlocking the encrypted storage on login. (would still work, via master passphrase
in Keychain/KWallet/Keyring)
>>  - Not a separate passphrase. Changing password for the OS user account manages the
re-encryption.
>>  - Automated password storage replication. OS X with MobileMe (subscription) _had_
this feature. It is sorely missed in iCloud and I am not alone in hoping for its return.
>>  - Relatively intuitive UI to manage cached credentials, including retrieving forgotten
ones.

>> I am afraid OS X users might consider moving away from Keychain a bit of a regression
(can't speak for Gnome/KDE users).
> Yeah, I hear you about the OS X user point of view.  At this point, I'm
> fairly convinced that for Windows and OS X, the use-master-password feature
> will be less frequently used.  (It will be off by default on all OSes.)

I wouldn't worry too much about Mac OS X in this respect. Mac users have
enough standard ways for transferring their settings to another machine.

-- Brane