subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Foad <julianf...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Symmetric Merge - status
Date Mon, 02 Apr 2012 15:02:03 GMT
Thanks to preliminary testing by Paul, Mark and Philip, the symmetric merge idea is starting
to show its main point, but it is far from complete.

What needs to be done?

The current implementation is crude, and suffices only to get the development started by calling
one or other of the current 'sync' or 'reintegrate' code paths.  The two big things are:

  * Subtree mergeinfo.  I spent part of Friday talking this through with Philip Martin and
we agreed on how it should behave.  I'll write this up in a separate post.

  * Skipping source-branch revisions that have been cherry-picked to the target branch.
The present source code only does this when it invokes the 'sync-like' (base on source branch)
code path; the 'reintegrate-like' (base on target branch) code path doesn't attempt to do
this.  We need to generalize the merge subroutines to handle both cases with the same code.

These are not independent tasks; rather they are two aspects of the behaviour that the merge
code will need to have.

New People

I'm pleased to be able to say that as of this weekend we can welcome three more people --
Stefan Fuhrmann and Cristian Camerin and Oleksiy Suschuk -- who are all now getting involved
with this work.  They are all working for Assembla and have just been asked to help us, and
so are reading up on the merge stuff and (apart from our Stefan2) on contributing to the Subversion
community.  Please join me in welcoming them on board.

- Julian