subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Hiroaki Nakamura <hnaka...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Let's discuss about unicode compositions for filenames!
Date Sat, 11 Feb 2012 12:10:20 GMT
Hi,

2012/2/9 Thomas Ã…kesson <thomas@akesson.cc>:
> Hi,
> I have been interested in this issue for a couple of years and I remember it was discussed
briefly at Subconf in Germany a couple of years ago.

> Branching the thread here because I'd like to propose a different approach than Hiroaki.
This proposition is not very different from the note "unicode-composition-for-filenames" or
what Peter S, Neels and others suggested, perhaps just combining 2 changes slightly differently.

> This is based on my limited understanding of WC-NG, please correct me if I make incorrect
assumptions.

> - Server will still accept both NFC and NFD, however, it will no longer accept collisions.
Enforced by normalising to NFD before uniqueness checks during add operations (yes, might
be more expensive). There will be no unified normalisation, but the subversion server will
work like most filesystems; return what was given to it.

For compatibility, we cannot ignore existing repositories and working
copies which have filename
collisions. So we cannot enforce subversion servers and clients to
normalize filenames.
We must let users to choose whether filenames are normalized or not
per repository.

--
)Hiroaki Nakamura) hnakamur@gmail.com