subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Hyrum K Wright <hyrum.wri...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: Ev2: providing checksums of files Re: svn commit: r1241733 - /subversion/trunk/subversion/libsvn_delta/compat.c
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2012 19:16:13 GMT
On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 1:05 PM, Daniel Shahaf <danielsh@elego.de> wrote:
> Hyrum K Wright wrote on Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 12:54:50 -0600:
>> (I'll also note that we actually *do* have a checksum by this point,
>> only it is the md5 provided by close_file(), and Ev2 uses sha1s
>> exclusively, so we have to recalculate.  I suspect this will be a
>
> Only sha1?  It allows neither md5 nor sha256?  Why?

"Convention" would be my initial response.  It makes much more sense
to standardize checksum kinds across the system than to have a mixed
environment.  Any checksum can help detect corruption, but being able
to answer the question "is this content the same as that content?" is
much more difficult in a mixed-checksum environment.  sha1 felt like a
reasonable choice[1].

I could  be overestimating the negatives, though.  What reasons do you
suppose we *should* allow arbitrary checksum types?

-Hyrum

[1] Though, given the timeline of Ev2 and the proposed timeline for
sha3, I'm really interested in the possibility of using sha3 when
standardized, throughout *all* of Subversion.  (But that's a
completely separate discussion.)

--

uberSVN: Apache Subversion Made Easy
http://www.uberSVN.com/