subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Johan Corveleyn <jcor...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: format of svn:author
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2012 12:44:29 GMT
On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 7:42 PM, Julian Foad <julianfoad@btopenworld.com> wrote:

[ ... ]

> SERVER DESIGN
>   Any time the server is about to send a set of revision properties to
> the client, the server looks up the extended author fields and adds
> corresponding properties to the set of revision properties that it
> reports to the client.  These property values override any values The server looks up
the extended author fieldsthrough some mechanism not defined here,using the value of the"svn:author"
property as a key.  The server may cache the results, provided that there is a way for the
administrator to make the server use updated information.

Just wondering: a lookup approach, does that address the original
problem that started this whole discussion? I.e.: how to avoid the
information loss when importing from GIT into a Subversion repository?
Since GIT has those additional attributes (display name and email
address?) annotated with every commit, a lookup approach is in general
not sufficient to store this information ...

Not important I think, but I'm just noting the discrepancy ...

--
Johan