subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Philip Martin <philip.mar...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: svn ls performance
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2012 18:44:47 GMT
Stefan K√ľng <tortoisesvn@gmail.com> writes:

> Hmm - strange. I've had significant different timings for 1.6.6 and 1.7.2.
> But I've tried 1.6.6 right after 1.7.2, so maybe there was some
> caching involved?
>
> I'll have to do some more testing.

It can be hard to test these things when you don't control the server.
The repostory is about half a million revisions and probably hundreds of
GB, it gets frequent commits, and each commit probably writes at least
1MB due to to the 26,000 entry directory.

> But could the performance be somewhat improved? After all, without the
> verbose flag the result is available much, much faster.

Perhaps.  'svn ls' just has to look at the representation of one
directory, adding '-v' means that the representation of each child has
to be examined as well.  It's the FSFS backend code that needs to be
investigated, I see similar timings over all protocols.

--
uberSVN: Apache Subversion Made Easy
http://www.uberSVN.com