subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Mielke <m...@mark.mielke.cc>
Subject Re: format of svn:author
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2012 12:50:06 GMT
Branko: If "svn log", "svn blame", and anything like TortoiseSVN or
Subclipse were to support this, you might have a point. As it is,
anybody with teams large enough such that the unique identifier is not
recognizable (i.e. committer A immediately recognizes and knows that
unique identifier for committer B) needs to FUDGE svn:author to include
additional information which is not really part of the unique identifier
at all and is only a humanly representable version of the unique
identifier, and this leads to:

1) Breakage in other tools. Committer mappings don't work.
2) The unique identifier is now not correct as it includes non-unique,
non-permanent details that change.

But now I'm repeating myself. I think the problem here is that people
are theorizing about subjects that they have not had to deal with real
life problems for. Theory vs practice. You can say that Enterprise like
to repeat things - but I'm not sure you understand what Enterprise is
doing... it just looks like repeating to you, and so you assume it has
no purpose, and therefore no merit.

--
Mark Mielke<mark@mielke.cc>