subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Alexey Neyman <>
Subject Patch ping, 5 years later: removing properties
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2011 19:05:34 GMT
Hi all,

Sorry for a long delay :) 5 years ago, I sent a patch to the mailing list that
would allow to specify what to include/exclude from the diff output:

There were two problems this patch tried to address:

1. There was no way to exclude properties from the diff output.

2. There was no way to obtain a list of modified/added/deleted files and
whether the content and/or properties have been modified.

I got a response from Ben Collins-Sussman that the patch I sent is superseded
by --summarize option which was implemented in the trunk (which would
eventually become 1.4):

Actually, --summarize only addresses the issue #2, but not the issue #1. As to
issue #1, ability to disable property diffs is still missing from Subversion.
Common wisdom suggests running the diff through 'filterdiff --clean':

But this is still unreliable: if property text includes a diff-like chunk, it
will go through.

What is the sentiment about implementing --no-property-diff option to 'svn
diff'? I can implement it if there's agreement such option is needed.

View raw message