subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Samuelson <pe...@p12n.org>
Subject Re: Bug report -- space in env. var. VISUAL causes commits to fail (needs confirmation)
Date Tue, 07 Dec 2010 15:12:57 GMT

[David Dyer-Bennet]
> >> I suppose setting VISUAL="\"/path with spaces/to/editor/binary\"" is the
> >> easiest solution --- it requires no code changes so it will work with
> >> any svn binary out there.
> >
> > Yes, I think that's the best solution.
>
> And, in any case, VISUAL is a public interface, and I wonder how many
> other applications would break if I put that kind of thing into
> VISUAL.

A couple of random tests:

- vipw, vigr work
- visudo does not

I seem to recall the same question coming up about 'man' and 'PAGER'
some years ago.  At least the Debian version uses system() and
interprets PAGER='"/with spaces/pager" -with -args' correctly.
--
Peter Samuelson | org-tld!p12n!peter | http://p12n.org/