subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Foad <julian.f...@wandisco.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r1041230 - /subversion/trunk/subversion/include/svn_checksum.h
Date Thu, 02 Dec 2010 11:10:13 GMT
On Wed, 2010-12-01, Blair Zajac wrote:
> On 12/1/10 4:38 PM, stefan2@apache.org wrote:
> > Author: stefan2
> > Date: Thu Dec  2 00:38:17 2010
> > New Revision: 1041230

> > Log:
> > Fix the svn_checksum_to_cstring() docstring to actually say what
> > was intended. Also, make clear that the behavior is new for 1.7 and
> > trying to use it in 1.6 will cause segfaults.
> >
> > * subversion/include/svn_checksum.h
> >    (svn_checksum_to_cstring): fix docstring
>
> What happens if somebody makes a svn tool that is compiled and built against the
> new 1.7 behavior and then it is backported to 1.6, it may core dump.

Any back-port effort of this kind needs to take account of all API
changes, not just newly created APIs.  If it doesn't, then yes it may
crash.  I believe that is an expected result of our compatibility rules,
and not without precedent, although I can't quickly lay my hands on a
good example.

> Should we add a svn_checksum_to_cstring2() instead with the new behavior or
> backport this change to 1.6?  But even then we'll have 1.6 versions with
> different behavior.  It seems making a new svn_checksum_to_cstring2() is better.

We should not port this change to 1.6.x.  I don't believe we need to rev
the API for this reason; however, I haven't reviewed the change and so I
don't know if there are other reasons.

- Julian