subversion-dev mailing list archives

From Julian Foad <julian.f...@wandisco.com>
Subject Pristine store - deletion / clean-up
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2010 17:06:58 GMT
I see two things we should do:

  (1) ensure pristines that become unreferenced are deleted at that
time;

  (2) add pristine store garbage collection (GC).

In r959723 I make "svn cleanup" remove all unreferenced pristines, as an
easy start to (2), mainly just as a useful option to use during
development before the pristine store looks after itself properly.

  (1) is the important one, the way I see it.  The important bit not
being actually deleting it, but rather ensuring that every time one
becomes unreferenced, we invoke a pristine store API that *has the
option of* removing it.  (Later, we may want to configure the store so
that this API doesn't actually remove unused texts until some time after
it has become unreferenced, depending on cache fullness etc.)

  (2) can be just an "svn cleanup" action for now; it's only if we later
want to start hanging on to unreferenced texts as described above that
we will start needing GC to happen automatically.  Or if we fail to
fully implement (1) of course.

- Julian