subversion-dev mailing list archives

From "C. Michael Pilato" <cmpil...@collab.net>
Subject Re: revprop changes and hooks
Date Fri, 18 Jun 2010 19:02:57 GMT
Daniel Shahaf wrote:
> C. Michael Pilato wrote on Fri, 18 Jun 2010 at 09:48 -0400:
>> Does mod_dav open and close the DAV properties database exactly once
>> per PROPPATCH?
>
> Yes.  (I checked dav_method_proppatch() in <main/mod_dav.c>.)  Why is
> this important to know?

Well, if it opened the props database once per connection, say, I just think
it would be more difficult to conceptually bind a value squirreled away in
that structure to a particular PROPPATCH invocation.  If we can say that the
lifetime of the props DB matches the lifetime of the request that modifies
it, there's a cleaner argument for treating it as a request-specific context
baton.

> You mean, to extend the dav_db structure to hold that information?  If
> that's possible, I suppose the only candidate for filling in that
> information is db_open(), who can examine its dav_resource object.  But
> does the dav_resource object contain the needed information?  Or do we
> need the request_rec object for that?

Hrm, come to think of it, this might be something that isn't easy to do by
merely extending the PROPPATCH request.  mod_dav may simply not give us
enough information.  Is this something we need to employ HTTPv2 for?  (I
truly don't know at this point.)

--
C. Michael Pilato <cmpilato@collab.net>