struts-user mailing list archives

From Dave Newton <davelnew...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Struts 1 migrate to Struts 2 question
Date Wed, 23 Dec 2015 01:38:47 GMT

> The effort required to upgrade and test a large application to Struts
> version 2 looks very large.  The effort to upgrade and test the entire
> application in a single release looks undoable.

Agreed.

> 1)      Are there any software tools that can be used to speed up the time
> to update JSPs, page validation, tag library calls, Action classes, etc to
> reduce development, improve code quality, and reduce testing time?

None that I'm aware of.

> 2)      Can a single application use both Struts 1 and Struts 2 at the
> same time?

Yes.

> a.       Would it be feasible to use Struts 2 for any new pages and
> upgrade to Struts 2 for any pages being changed for other reasons?

Yes.

> 3)      We do an application release every 6 weeks or so.  We can't do
> this in one release unless we find or develop a tool to help us convert
> pages to Struts 2.  We are considering upgrading 100 pages per release to
> Struts 2.  Has anyone done something like this successfully?  What are best
> practices and lessons learned?

That strikes me as a fairly aggressive timeline, obviously it depends on
the pages and functionality.

There are zero similarities between S1 and S2. If your S1 app was
well-architected the effort will be confined to the view and controller
layers, at least, but even that is non-trivial.

4)      Test effort.  With all of the code changes required it seems that
> developers could miss things.

If you have no integration tests, then yes, this will be fraught with
potential issues. Again, a well-architected S1 app is in less danger since
the important business logic is already isolated and Struts acts only as a
mediation layer between the client (e.g., the browser or API users) and the
business logic.

The ultimate answer(s) really depends on the nature of your app. If the JSP
pages are simple it might be possible to write a small conversion tool that
does a rough translation between tag libraries; beyond that... it'll be
mostly manual labor.

Dave

--
e: davelnewton@gmail.com