struts-user mailing list archives

From Lukasz Lenart <lukaszlen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: I would like help with the template theme changes in 2.3.16.1
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2014 12:10:03 GMT
Can you prepare a small Maven based demo app?

> Hi,
> I am developing an application which has been predominantly written with Struts2 version
2.3.15.3 and the struts2-jquery-plugin version 3.6.1.
> I have recently upgraded to Struts2 version 2.3.16.1 and struts2-jquery-plugin version
3.7.0.
> The application has used the css_xhtml theme throughout, defined in struts.xml.
> Since the upgrade, the HTML markup of the struts2-jquery-plugin (sj:) components has
been adversly affected.
> I have debugged the application and found that the issue is caused by the changes made
to themes under WW-4145.
> The situation appears to be this:
> The struts2-jquery-plugin has implemented custom tags for their components and these
classes will return the value of 'jquery' in response to the getTheme() method. They do appear
to correctly store a 'parentTheme' parameter with the correct value (in my case from the parent
form element) of 'css_xhtml'.
> The struts2-jquery-plugin custom templates are successfully found on the templates/jquery
path, but some of them contain 'include' statements, for example, the datepicker.ftl contains
the following snippet:

>  <#if parameters.parentTheme == 'css_xhtml'>
>   <#include "/${parameters.templateDir}/css_xhtml/controlheader.ftl" />
>  </#if>
>
> So, at this point, all is well, the correct controlheader.ftl template for the css_xhtml
theme is found and included, however this template (now) contains the following include:

> <#include "/${parameters.templateDir}/${parameters.expandTheme}/controlheader-core.ftl">
>
> And this is where it starts to go wrong. The ${parameters.expandTheme} resolves to '~~~jquery'
and, after reading the WW-4145 change info, I understand that this will cause the ThemeManager
to load the template from the parent theme as defined in the theme.properties file. This,
in the case of the struts2-jquery-plugin, is defiend as 'xhtml' and NOT 'css_xhtml' as discovered
from the parent form component. Consequently, the wrong controlheader-core.ftl template is
included, and the resulting HTML includes incorrect <tr> and <td> tags which ultimately
break the page.

> Other than hacking the templates, I cannot see a satisfactory way of resolving this problem,
so any assistance would be gratefully received.