struts-user mailing list archives

From Dave Newton <davelnew...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Form handling by direct URL in Struts 1.3.8
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2012 13:29:36 GMT
On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Anjib Mulepati <anjibcs@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I don't think problem is mapping correct page from Action class. If you
> look into my initial code posting /changepassword need form validation so
> it calls the validate() method and since there is no data it fails. I have
> input="changePasswordPage" which takes to the tile where it look for the
> session variable.
> My problem I don't a mechanism where if some one POST the empty data
> validation fail must lead to not login message or invalid access message.
> How can I make such distinction from normal form submission?

You don't *need* to make that distinction, although you *may*.

You still have the same options as before:

1. A userInfo object in session, or
2. Don't read userInfo properties if it's *not* in session.

For (1), you *could* just keep a dummy/default "not-logged-in" userInfo in
session, and replace it with a real on on login (and go back to the
dummy/default one on logout). This is sort-of a NullObject pattern
implementation, except that it represents a dummy/default user.

For (2), you can use conditional logic around property access.

Or just don't go to any pages that require a userInfo, likely by
redirecting to a login page on "protected" pages. That could be handled by
a filter, a custom request processor, etc.

It seems like you're over-thinking this instead of just using any of the
suggestions already provided or coming up with something better--this is a
straight-forward problem, with relatively straight-forward solution.

Dave