struts-user mailing list archives

From Anjib Mulepati <anji...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: use of validate() method [S 1.3.8]
Date Wed, 14 Dec 2011 20:57:57 GMT
Thanks

I have each field as unique so they are not composite that means I am in
right direction.

Now what you say about composite key I think that will be valid for
primary key also. I also have primary key in the table 'id' which user
doesn't have to enter. To ensure any sql exception in createCustomer()
method I am catching SQLException and throwing new custom exception. In
my calling action class I am mapping error message for this exception.
But when I call this action class using AJAX its always returning as
success case even when I sending duplicate ID (I am not sending this id
from form. I have hardcoded). I think this is because action call
doesn't send failure status if exception occur. Am i correct? If no what
I am missing? If yes then what will be solutionfor these problems?

Anjib

On 12/14/2011 3:31 PM, Eric Reed wrote:
> By saying both code and name are unique... is this a composite key that must be unique
or do both fields have to be unique?  If it is the composite key that must be unique than
I would skip the checks and catch the exception when thrown.  Otherwise if each field must
be unique then you need to validate each one and your design/logic is fine.