struts-user mailing list archives

From AndyLaw <andy....@roslin.ed.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Return text to jsp, plus image and imageMap from a single Data query?
Date Mon, 05 Sep 2011 08:36:01 GMT

On 3 Sep 2011, at 15:07, Dave Newton-6 [via Struts] wrote:

> Okay, so I guess my question is "Why do you want to deliver the result in
> three separate parts?" Without a clear understanding of what you're trying
> to do and why, it's difficult to answer in a helpful way.

The results come back in a single hit which is defined in a JSP page. The JSP consists of
a text table representation of the database results at the top of the page and a graphical
clickable image of those results underneath.

The struts1-based version of the code which I inherited has the action querying the database,
drawing an image to a temporary file, which is then referenced from within the JSP. One of
the problems that they had with the old version (which is being replaced for a huge number
of reasons, not just this) was the management of "temporary" files broken down frequently
resulting in file system chaos. I would rather avoid writing stuff to file that can be streamed
and forgotten.

I know how to get the stream returned and I can happily generate the image as a stream and
return it. I don't have a clear picture in my head though about how to generate that image
as a stream embedded within a JSP.

My prototype has the jsp reference the graphic-drawing action as the source of an image. However,
if I implement that, I'll need to extract the data into the action that presents the jsp text
and generates the image and its source reference. I'll also need to extract the data into
the action that generates the referenced image and still find a way to dump back the html
imagemap coordinates and urls to make that image clickable.

I'm clearly suffering a brain-fade here. Is the temporary file route the way to go or is there
something smarter and more "self managing" that I can do?

Later,

Andy
--------
Yada, yada, yada...

The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, with registration
number SC005336
Disclaimer: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended solely for the use
of the recipient(s) to whom they are addressed. If you have received it in error, please destroy
all copies and inform the sender.

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.