struts-user mailing list archives

From Gabriel Belingueres <belingue...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to StrutsJUnit4TestCase?
Date Mon, 08 Aug 2011 17:45:41 GMT
Hi Maurizio:

I'm yet about to look at your code.

My experience was pretty much the same as Christian, in that I wanted
to use Junit 4 and the supporting classes were not very easy to work
on.

I think that you get more value when you can be productive in no time.
One you can achieve this with convention over configuration rules for
example adding sensitive defaults like assuming the config file name
is 'struts.xml' and the action name is the test method's name are good
starting points, and adding annotations to configure the behavior or
your test when you have something that fall outside of the conventions
are a definite plus (taking care of DRY rules).

Regards,
Gabriel

2011/8/8 Maurizio Cucchiara <mcucchiara@apache.org>:
> Maurizio Cucchiara
> Ignore the last rows of my email: I did not read Christian's email about the
> Config annotation and I did not take a look at Gabriel's code.
> A good reason to take a deep look at this too.
> @Gabriel: In the meanwhile, considering your experience, if you have any
> suggestion, it will be very appreciated.
>
> On 8 August 2011 11:49, Maurizio Cucchiara <mcucchiara@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi Christian,
>> thanks for your precious feedback.
>> your idea makes a lot of sense indeed!
>> Unfortunately the struts.xml file name is one of the strong convention of
>> S2 (the file name appears inside the code) and after a very quick look it
>> would not seem simple to replace.
>> Anyway, I'll take a deep look at this ASAP.
>>
>> Maurizio Cucchiara
>>

>> On 8 August 2011 10:35, Christian Grobmeier <grobmeier@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello Maurizio,

>>> not tested it yet, but yes, that is what I want to have, it looks
>>> great! Thank you very much for the work!
>>>
>>> One question roused in me when I see this one and even the old Junit3
>>> testcase. I was always wondering were
>>> the struts.xml is drawn. In most cases of course I want to test the
>>> struts.xml as it is used in my webapp. But sometimes i might want to
>>> test something else, a special error case or maybe a result type. For
>>> these cases I might want to test with a variation of my struts.xml,
>>> and therefore this might be useful:
>>>
>>> @RunWith(SpringJUnit4ClassRunner.class)
>>> @ContextConfiguration(locations = {"your-application-context.xml"})
>>> @StrutsContextConfiguration(locations = {"struts-test.xml"})
>>> public class YourActionIntegrationTest extends
>>> StrutsSpringJUnit4TestCase<YourAction> {
>>>
>>> not sure if my idea makes sense, but wanted to bring it to discussion.
>>>
>>> Cheers!
>>> Christian

>>> https://builds.apache.org/job/Struts2/334/org.apache.struts$struts2-junit-plugin/
>>> >
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/WW-3667?focusedCommentId=13079421&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-13079421