struts-user mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: Chained actions and their properties in the value stack
Date Sun, 15 May 2011 16:10:15 GMT

On May 15, 2011, at 8:34 AM, Dave Newton wrote:

> On Sunday, May 15, 2011, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:
>> I have a st of chained actions, in order A, B, C.
>
> Jason's correct--IMO action chaining is more trouble than it's worth,
> almost always. *Three* in a chain?! What's the use case for this?

Yeah, I could have fallen into an anti-pattern here.

Let's say that A knows how to find/generate instances of Foo.  B knows how to find/generate
instances of Bar.  C is an application specific Action that needs an instance of Foo and an
instance of Bar.

>> A has a getter for Foo.  B does not have a getter/setter for Foo.  C has a setter
for Foo.  It seems that A cannot provide C the value of Foo without B also "participating"
and implementing a getter/setter for Foo.  Yuck.

> Why "yuck"? You'd like the actions in the chain to be coupled even
> *more* tightly and rely on hidden magic to maintain state between
> them, beyond what's already provided?

B should only be concerned with finding/generating instances of Bar and not worry about "passing
up" values from A.

Regards,
Alan