struts-user mailing list archives

From Anjib Mulepati <anji...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [S 1.3.8] Simple Struts Example
Date Fri, 28 Jan 2011 16:40:17 GMT
1. " ..... when you try to display a bean property in your JSP you're not seeing the value
you expect in the browser."
  Yes, I set the bean value in execute() method and I am trying to get that display in JSP
result page.

2. "You also submit a form, and you might mean that the form isn't being handled in the way
you ...."
My form have just have a single button which just trigger the action.

3. " .. but show nothing that actually puts a bean into the session. So far, your problem
is there."
I also think that I am missing something to relate between bean in action and JSP page.

4. " ... is there a reason you're learning Struts 1?"
I am working ont his app developed in struts 1 so try to fix around. Soon I will be moving
to Struts 2.

So what will be the solution to issue #3?

Thanks
Anjib

On 1/28/2011 9:59 AM, Dave Newton wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 9:50 AM, Anjib Mulepati wrote:
>> Can anyone help to get this simple program run?
> I suspect you mean "run correctly".
>
>> When I run this app I get null as result.
> When describing a problem it's helpful to be specific: while reading the
> code leads me to *believe* what you mean is that when you try to display a
> bean property in your JSP you're not seeing the value you expect in the
> browser.
>
> But I really have no idea if that assumption is correct. You also submit a
> form, and you might mean that the form isn't being handled in the way you
> expect (although you've done, or at least shown, nothing related to Struts 1
> form processing at all).
>
> So.
>
> You're attempting to display a bean value retrieved from the session, but
> show nothing that actually puts a bean into the session. So far, your
> problem is there.
>
> You'll be disappointed when you find out all you have to do to process forms
> in the normal Struts 1 way... is there a reason you're learning Struts 1?
> Most new development has moved on to more recent frameworks, with good
> reasons. I'm suspicious of companies doing new development in Struts 1.
>
> Dave
>

>> On 1/27/2011 4:37 PM, Anjib Mulepati wrote:
>>
>>> 1. JSP Files
>>> =========
>>> a) Calling page
>>> ---------------------
>>> <%@ taglib uri="http://struts.apache.org/tags-bean" prefix="bean" %>
>>> <%@ taglib uri="http://struts.apache.org/tags-html" prefix="html" %>
>>> <%@ taglib uri="http://struts.apache.org/tags-logic" prefix="logic" %>

>>> <head>
>>> <title><bean:message key="welcome.title"/></title>
>>> </head>
>>> <form  action="getValue.do" method="post">
>>> <input type="submit" value="Get Value" />
>>> </form>
>>>
>>> b) Result Page
>>> -------------------
>>> <%@ taglib uri="/WEB-INF/struts-bean.tld"  prefix="bean" %>
>>> <head>
>>> <title>JSP Page</title>
>>> </head>
>>> <h1>result</h1>
>>> <jsp:useBean id="exchangeBean" scope="session"
>>> class="com.anjib.beans.DataBean" />
>>> <jsp:getProperty name="exchangeBean" property="sampleProperty" />

>>> 2. Bean Class
>>> ===========
>>> package com.anjib.beans;
>>>
>>> import java.io.Serializable;
>>>
>>> public class DataBean implements Serializable {
>>>
>>>     private String sampleProperty;
>>>
>>>     public DataBean() {
>>>
>>>     }
>>>
>>>     public String getSampleProperty() {
>>>         return sampleProperty;
>>>     }
>>>
>>>     public void setSampleProperty(String value) {
> [...]
>>> import javax.servlet.http.HttpServletRequest;
>>> import javax.servlet.http.HttpServletResponse;
>>> import org.apache.struts.action.ActionForm;
>>> import org.apache.struts.action.ActionForward;