struts-user mailing list archives

From Jim Talbut <Jim.Tal...@groupgti.com>
Subject RE: JSON Property
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2011 13:23:57 GMT
Yes, I thought about that, but it's even more work than creating a custom "get" method and
equally unreusable.
I've done this often enough that I think a custom tag is justified.

The reason I keep wanting to do it is to set up jqGrid data so that I can have a parent record
with children (the children being in the jqGrid and set via JSON) submitted as a single entity
(I typically put the JSON data into a hidden field and then update it in the submit, but there
are also other uses for the JSON data, such as selection lists, that don't get updated).

Jim

From: Aaron Brown [aaron@thebrownproject.com]
Sent: 03 January 2011 13:11
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: JSON Property

Have you considered using an include? You can call a json-result-type action
with it or switch to some other fragment result if needed. Perhaps it's
quick and dirty compared with creating a custom tag but it seems to me it
would be a lot easier to implement.

- Aaron
 On Jan 3, 2011 6:50 AM, "Jim Talbut" <Jim.Talbut@groupgti.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I keep needing to put the JSON equivalent of an expression into a JSP page
to be used by client side javascript.
> This is done during the evaluation of the JSP, it's not AJAX.
>
> At the moment I'm doing it by creating a special "get" method on the
action, but that's not nice - the action shouldn't need to know that I want
the representation in JSON.

> I've started looking at creating an alternative tag to do the job, but it
would be pretty much a complete copy of the property tag, but with an
additional "escape"-type property to specify that the result should be JSON.
> It's slightly more complicated than that because the normal escapes should
be applied afterwards too.

> Question: Is this something that should be implemented in the base
property tag as an enhancement to struts itself, or should I just copy the
property tag and get on with my life?