struts-user mailing list archives

From "Frank W. Zammetti" <fzli...@omnytex.com>
Subject Re: AJAX file upload
Date Wed, 01 Dec 2010 15:20:19 GMT
On 12/1/2010 9:00 AM, Robert Graf-Waczenski wrote:
> Am 30.11.2010 21:59, schrieb Harsh C:
>> How can I setup a AJAX-ified file upload page using Struts 2? If
>> there is
>> some integration with Dojo, it would be even better i.e. not use the OS
>> specific file upload button etc.
>>

> There are various resources floating around in the net regarding "AJAX
> file upload". Strictly speaking, there is no such thing as an "ajax
> file upload" to begin with. If your web app needs to upload a file,
> there are two choices: Either you use <input type="file"> in all its
> ugliness (or beauty, if you put effort into styling the control
> properly), or you implement a (signed) Java applet to grab the file
> from your client's disk and upload it to the server.
>
> That being said, i would still suggest to google for "AJAX file
> upload" because some of the resources that you can find are actually
> quite useful and describe a solution to the problem that your web app
> may have here and there, namely that you have an html form on your
> page already and that you now need an extra form (on a popup dialog,
> layer, whatever) that can be submitted while the original form is
> *not* (or not yet) submitted. For this, ajax comes into the picture:
> It allows you to handle a separate HTTP submit roundtrip to accept the
> uploaded file, do some validation with it and show the appropriate
> errors on your popup dialog when the rest of the other form has not
> yet been submitted.
>
> And, finally: All this has nothing to do with Struts specifically.
>
> Robert

FYI, DWR v3 has a super-sweet implementation of an "AJAX upload".
Doesn't solve the look-and-feel "issue" WRT the button, but if you want
to really be fooled into thinking you're actually using AJAX to do an
upload (because Robert is 100% right that there isn't actually such a
thing) than DWR v3 will make you smile as you write the 2-3 lines of
code you need :)

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Author of "Practical Palm Pre webOS Projects"