struts-user mailing list archives

From Robert Graf-Waczenski <...@lsoft.com>
Subject Re: S2.1.8.1: Need something similar to struts.el.throwExceptionOnFailure for <s:textfield> and <s:hidden>
Date Wed, 02 Dec 2009 08:50:21 GMT
Dale Newfield schrieb:
> Robert Graf-Waczenski wrote:
>> <s:property value="%{missingProperty}"/> which correctly yields a
>> runtime error
>
> Unless you're in devMode, I don't want anything yielding a runtime
> error, I want it to proceed as best it can, and let me know so I can
> address any potential issue (the logging is a step forward from
> earlier versions where the failure was silent).  If the s:property
> behavior you describe is encountered in a production environment ( ==
> outside of devMode) I would call that a bug.

This is not a bug, it's a feature in Struts2 2.1.8.1 that you explicitly
have to enable via a configuration option (which is what we did). Even
though the philosophy you describe is valid in its own regard, ours is
drastically different. Give me a runtime error, i know how to catch it
and extract all necessary information for my logging framework. Struts2
does offer a nice handling framework with exception interceptors and
everything, so i really like the problem to be thrown as early as
possible and leave it to the exception handler somewhere out there to
handle and log it.

Robert