struts-user mailing list archives

From "James Cook" <James.C...@wecomm.com>
Subject Tomcat 5.0.28 and Struts 2.1.8
Date Wed, 21 Oct 2009 22:47:19 GMT
Hi All,

I have just had a fun evening with getting a S2 app to work on a shared
Tomcat instance. What I discovered when I deployed was this error:

Exception starting filter struts2
javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactoryConfigurationError
<http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/javax/xml/transform/TransformerFa
ctoryConfigurationError.html> : Provider
org.apache.xalan.processor.TransformerFactoryImpl not found
at javax.xml.transform.TransformerFactory.newInstance(Unknown Source)

Now looking into this I found that there are 2 jars that sit in the
Tomcats endorsed lib : xml-apis.har and xercesImpl.jar. It appears these
were interfering,  I did download the latest Xalan and add that to my
project. However the problem then was  mismatch of classes which led to
an unknown method error. To cut a long story short I found that by using
Xalan.jar verson 2.3.1 I was able to get the application to deploy and
function without error.

Now although this is works, and from bug reports I found on Google it
was deemed not a S2 bug (quite right - it isn't), and this is a *shared*
tomcat instance - I can't change the settings.

My question is - Is there anything else I could do instead? (again I
can't change the Tomcat start up config)

Cheers

James