struts-user mailing list archives

From Wes Wannemacher <w...@wantii.com>
Subject Re: Struts 2 Custom Tags & Custom Actions
Date Tue, 29 Sep 2009 19:11:14 GMT
On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 4:03 PM, Roger <roger.varley@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Apologies for the following, I hope it makes sense.
>
> I'm currently trying to develop a web-app that makes extensive use of
> <s:select> elements in the UI. As I handed coded my n'th jsp implementation of
> the same <select> today I thought I'd break out the tutorials and learn how to
> create a custom tag to do this for me. And that got me thinking ..
>
> What I would like to know is if I can also "attach" a custom action to my
> custom tag to populate the select options, without interfering with the rest
> of the flow? So I would have a self contained "component".  My limited
> understanding of the Struts cycle suggests  that once I'm into result
> processing when my custom tag is processed it's too late to have a new
> "action" on the stack.

Nah, your understanding is wrong here...  You in fact can execute
another action. Although I'm not a fan of it, check out the s:action
tag. It will execute an action (and place it on the stack) while
rendering the result of another action execution.

> I know that I could define a BaseAction that extends ActionSupport that my
> action classes extend to provide a method to populate the select options, but
> I'd end up with sub-classed actions that use the populate list method and some
> for which the method would be meaningless, which doesn't feel right, and
> having a BaseAction that is truely used by all actions (ie, setting up
> logging) and then extending again with a BaseActionWithLists seems messy to
> me, particularly when I have lists that are common to many actions, common to
> few actions and   those that are required by a single action.
>
> Of course, I could also have the design of the app horribly wrong ....

-Wes

--
Wes Wannemacher

Head Engineer, WanTii, Inc.