struts-user mailing list archives

From Roger <roger.var...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Struts 2 Custom Tags & Custom Actions
Date Tue, 29 Sep 2009 20:27:54 GMT
> > What I would like to know is if I can also "attach" a custom action to my
> > custom tag to populate the select options, without interfering with the
> > rest of the flow? So I would have a self contained "component".  My
> > limited understanding of the Struts cycle suggests  that once I'm into
> > result processing when my custom tag is processed it's too late to have a
> > new "action" on the stack.
>
> Nah, your understanding is wrong here...  You in fact can execute
> another action. Although I'm not a fan of it, check out the s:action
> tag. It will execute an action (and place it on the stack) while
> rendering the result of another action execution.

Hi Wes

Thanks for the quick response. Given that you're not a fan of the <s:action>
tag, would you care to elaborate on why, pitfalls etc etc. Am I trying
something unreasonable here and is there a better way of achieving what I'm
trying to do. As an aside, if I do go down the <s:action> route to a custom
"populate the list" action, what do I return as the result so I don't
interfere with the flow.

Regards