struts-user mailing list archives

From Dave Newton <newton.d...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Localization in struts 2
Date Thu, 18 Jun 2009 23:55:13 GMT
Martin Gainty wrote:
> the lang lookup algorithm uses the provided locale to lookup the accompanying text string
> romance and germanic languages come from the common EUROPEAN base which originate from
single byte character set(s)
> converting to other languages employing Double Byte Character becomes problematic as
representation for each character now takes 16 bits
> this means that every component,application and bean on the application stack which will
lookup that string needs to support DBCS
> ALSO persisting DBCS information to a Database would require your DB to support DBCS
types such as NCHAR,NINTEGER and NVARCHAR

> Moreover the architects of J2SE left out Hindi support so you will definitely have your
work cut out for you
> http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/intl/encoding.doc.html

AFAICT you're confusing I18N output with file encoding.

> I would stick with Single Byte Character Set business languages such as german, french,
spanish and italian

Come on... there are tons of multi-byte Java apps. Not to mention that
the OP has stated that it's working:

http://www.mail-archive.com/user@struts.apache.org/msg89237.html

Dave