struts-user mailing list archives

From "Jan T. Kim" <j....@uea.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Exceptions thrown by constructor different from those thown by execute() ?
Date Tue, 23 Jun 2009 13:56:44 GMT
On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 09:03:22AM -0400, Wes Wannemacher wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 8:50 AM, Jim Kiley<jhkiley@summa-tech.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > From a philosophical perspective, though -- no clue, I don't have a lot of
> > insight into why the devs make all the decisions they make.
> >
> [...]
>
> The decisions I make are usually heavily weighted by how impressed
> girls will be :)
>
> I would go against adding security via exceptions thrown by a
> constructor. In the default ObjectFactory for xwork, the flow for
> creating instances of classes is pretty easy to follow. The exception
> handling is deferred to callers (as evidenced by the various "throws
> Exception" qualifiers on the methods). The main reason I would be
> against it is that you aren't the one calling "new" on the classes. I
> can appreciate what you are trying to do, so file a JIRA and when we
> have time to investigate, we could probably implement it, but to solve
> your problem, the best bet is an interceptor.

I (again) agree that an interceptor is more suited for security. I'm
undecided whether this is an issue suitable for a JIRA, it's more that
based on the documentation on Exception Configuration
[http://struts.apache.org/2.0.14/docs/exception-configuration.html], I
would have anticipated that exceptions would be mapped as configured
by exception-mapping elements regardless of whether they're thrown
by execute() or by a constructor.

My guess is it's more likely this is an issue for documentation,
or perhaps it's a (not exceedingly) FAQ. Or perhaps it's just me,
as I've only started with struts a few weeks ago.

Best regards, Jan
 |             email: j.kim@uea.ac.uk                                 |
 |             WWW:   http://www.cmp.uea.ac.uk/people/jtk             |