struts-user mailing list archives

From Andy Sykes <a.sy...@ucl.ac.uk>
Subject Re: [S2] When/How are Actions Created?
Date Tue, 19 May 2009 16:03:46 GMT
1. It's created when the Struts dispatcher filter receives a request
that matches an <action> element in the XML configuration file. Xwork
handles the creation, I believe (Struts internal DI framework). You're
running with Spring as the container, which mean Spring does the
action creation based on the name in the "class" element of the
<action> configuration - Spring matches this against a <bean> element
in the applicationContext.xml for your app.

2. When you create an object with "new", you're not creating it in a
container - "new" is dumb. Spring is smart - when Struts asks Spring
for an object (an action in this case), Spring can look at its XML and
say "hey, I see an @Autowired in that class Struts wanted. I'd better
work out what I need to inject in here". Spring manages the object
creation, and so can create the object, then inject. "new" just
creates it.

In this case, I'd guess you only have a single <bean> element in the
Spring configuration of type MyService. When Spring is asked to make
the object, and encounters the @Autowired annotation, it'll try to
find a <bean> element that matches (based on name, type, and probably
some other things I can't remember). In this case, it finds a <bean>
with type MyService. Then it uses some method to inject it into the
object Struts asked it for (I'm not 100% sure how it does it without
public setters, but it's pretty much the same end result as having a
public setter for MyService).

Think of Spring like a big object factory with instructions for how to
make objects. Struts asked for an object; Spring looked at its
blueprints and figured out how to put it together, then handed it to
Struts. That's basically what DI/IoC containers do.

I'd recommend you read the guides on springsource.org, or try a book
on Spring. I quite like Spring In Action, by Craig Walls & Ryan
Breidenbach (published by Manning, I think).