struts-user mailing list archives

From Russell Neufeld <russ.neuf...@hds.com>
Subject Sending back HTML with Struts 2 while shutting down the server
Date Wed, 29 Apr 2009 21:12:22 GMT
Hi all,

    One of the struts actions I'm implementing shuts down the server.
I'd like to be able to send back an HTML response before the server
shuts down, but the action's execute() method doesn't dispatch to the
jsp for the html response until after the return of the method.  That
means if I start my shutdown sequence before returning from execute(),
there's a race and the response HTML may not make it back to the browser.

    In Struts 1 (which I realize is a different framework) I manually
called the request dispatcher in the execute() method to first return an
HTML response, and then I started the shutdown sequence.  Can I do the
same thing in Struts 2?  Is there a special value I can return from a
Struts 2 execute() method, say null, which tells the framework not to
send any HTML response back (because I've already done that manually
with a request dispatcher)?

    Thanks,

       Russ