struts-user mailing list archives

From Dave Newton <newton.d...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Required field only works with text fields?
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2009 20:41:33 GMT
Griffith, Michael * wrote:
> Can anyone help me with this?
>
> By adding the @RequiredField annotation to the relationship field
> (status in my example below) the form did not submit, which is good
> because the status had not been specified from the list. However, the
> form did not present a message too the user saying why the form
> submission failed.  I have the field annotated as:
>

> @ManyToOne(cascade = {CascadeType.PERSIST, CascadeType.MERGE},
> fetch=FetchType.EAGER)
> @JoinColumn(name = "STATUS")
> @RequiredFieldValidator(message="Validation
> Error",key="validate.notEmpty")
> public Status getStatus() {
> 	return status;
> }
>
> Any reply would be appreciated.

My first assumption would be that you'd need to have a custom validator,
depending on how Status objects are initialized/created. AFAIK
"required" will only check for nullness.

I'm not sure if a Status object will be created if no status properties
are set, but if it is, then it probably won't work with a simple
"required". If any status properties are set then it definitely
won't--empty string fields aren't null; they're blank.

I'm a little surprised "required" works with your textfields, since
strings normally need a "requiredstring" validator to function properly.

Dave