struts-user mailing list archives

From Timothy Orme <to...@genome.med.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: Best Practices for Forms
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2009 20:17:20 GMT
Hi Greg,

	Thanks, I actually just stumbled across this. I'm actually having some problems with it however.

I have it setup as follows:

<action name="ViewForm" class="ViewFormAction">
	<interceptor-ref name="redirectStack" />
	<result name="success">/form.jsp?id=${id}</result>
	<result name="input">/form.jsp?id=${id}</result>
</action>

<action name="AddData" class="AddDataAction">
	<interceptor-ref name="redirectStack" />
	<result name="success" type="redirect">ViewData.action?id=${id}</result>
	<result name="input" type="redirect">ViewForm.action?id=${id}</result>
</action>

This comes close to working. If the user enters bad data, I get moved from the AddData action
back to the ViewForm action, and the action errors are there, but now the dynamic parts of
the form are
not present. After debugging this, I see that when the user enters bad data, it hits the validate
method of the AddData action, but never hits the execute() method of view form. What am I
doing wrong?

Thanks,
Tim