struts-user mailing list archives

From Timothy Orme <to...@genome.med.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: Best Practices for Forms
Date Tue, 17 Mar 2009 14:47:36 GMT
Sorry to revive an old thread here, but I've run into another issue with this.

I decided to go with the second of Hernan's recommendations here, so I now have the following
"flow".

1. User visits "ViewForm.action".
2. User submits the form and we go to "AddData.action"
3. If the data validated okay, we send the user on to "ViewData.action",
	otherwise, we send them back to ViewForm.action.

And in XML it looks something like:

<action name="AddData" class="action.AddDataAction">
	<result name="success" type="redirect">ViewData.action?id=%{dataId}</result>
	<result name="input" type="redirect">ViewForm.action</result>
</action>

The problem is, as Hernan stated, that I now lose all my ActionErrors that were added to the
stack. So the page redirects ok, but now if the user entered bad data, I can't send messages
back to them
to tell them what went wrong. Again, this seems like something that should be a common goal,
but I can't seem to find the right way to do it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tim