struts-user mailing list archives

From Andy <andrh...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Performance issue
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2009 21:33:25 GMT

I would be interested in seeing new benchmark results if anyone happens to generate some.
 Might want to avoid database-based tests due to caching.
> Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 16:19:36 -0500> From: pierre.thibaudeau@gmail.com> To: user@struts.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Performance issue> > Yes the model is *exactly* the same in the two cases.
In fact, both> S1 and S2 exist concurrently in the same Tomcat application.> > Each
test is run using JMeter, with 10 users who randomly try to> access one of 42 different
pages involving 10 different types of> results (that is, roughly speaking, 10 different
JSPs, abstracting> from the fact that each page is really composed of 6 or 7 different>
JSP tiles). In total, roughly 1,600 pages were queried for each test.> Moreover, each test
was performed after re-starting Tomcat, once the> pages had been warmed up.> > My
last post in this thread was fairly extreme, and I felt the need to> make new tests that
relied on fewer assumptions and more on hard> facts. So I modified the pages tested as
best I could, in order to> make the respective S1 pages and S2 pages as close to identical
as> possible. In particular, this meant beefing up my old S1 pages,> adding to them
some of the more recent sections that existed only in> the S2 version: mostly (but not
exclusively) a lot of javascrip/dojo> stuff, which is not interpreted anyway by JMeter.
(I don't rely on S2> for dojo, but provide my own; and yes, I package and shrinksafe it).>
> Since my original timing for S1 pages were so ridiculously low (often> under 10 ms!!!),
the new beefed-up S1 pages were bound to be> significantly slower.> On average, with
the beefed-up pages, S1 pages take 74 ms to load.> > Since last running the S2 tests
(about 4 days ago), I did a fair> amount of optimizing and I replaced the most obvious
<s:tags> by> <c:ones> in about half of the JSPs. I therefore re-ran the tests
just> before writing this current post.> There is a marked improvement and, on average,
S2 pages load in 169 ms.> > In other words, I may have been a little (!) hasty in posting
my> previous statement! (*blushing*) My apologies to all the people who> care about
S2!!!> We are happily very far from the apocalyptic 30x factor that I had> previously
observed. (Some tests last week were showing averages of> 580 ms per S2-page!)> >
As I am under pressure, I may not have time immediately to set up a> new test to compare
the most recent result with the case of S2 pages> that entirely rely on <s:tags>,
though that would be very> enlightening. If I can get round to it, I promise to post the>