struts-user mailing list archives

From Struts Two <struts...@yahoo.ca>
Subject Re: Struts 2 session problem
Date Sat, 17 Jan 2009 17:31:51 GMT
There are a few solutions to your problem:

1- You can serialize your object as a hidden field and deserialize it on each request if you
need it. It serves like a baggage that you carry form page to other. In this way, you avoid
putting any object in session scope.
Some folks may argue that this is not efficient for huge-sized objects, but keep in mind httpsession
should not be confused with storage. I already use this solution in a few medium size webapps,
works like charm.

2- If the object put in session is sort of object like ,say, the one the holds user credentials,
roles, timezones, etc that can be calculated at each request, you may have custom interceptor
that does it each time a user submits a request. You may incur just an extra cost of going
to databse, to get all the information but with today's hardware speed and software, you should
not worry about that. I have also used this solution and it also works like charm.

3- [I have not tried this myself ], If you are using servers like websphere, they provide
other ways of session management except cookies and url rewriting like using ssl id for session
management. You may want to try it.