struts-user mailing list archives

From Martin Gainty <mgai...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Hi.. some advice please.
Date Sat, 27 Dec 2008 20:01:36 GMT

Wes is right on Struts support for legacy 1.x development

If you're thinking your UI layer will need Ajax controls (or any type of asynchronous behaviour)
you will need to adopt and implement Struts 2.x so you can define and implement Dojo Ajax
controls generally supported by declaration of head tag with theme attribute set to ajax as
in this example
<s:head theme="ajax">
Underneath the UI layer you will need to match Struts (version 2) Dojo-plugin to Dojo (v 1.2)
and then Dojo support for the ActiveX control performing the actual transport work IE uses
XMLHttpRequest (version 2.x)
http://api.dojotoolkit.org/jsdoc/dojo/1.2/dojo._xhrObj/.switch/1.1.1

As far as MVC there are 3 implementations that I currently know of
1)Spring MVC where everything in the bottom-most entities are createed using BeanFactories
http://static.springframework.org/spring/docs/2.0.x/reference/mvc.html
memory (Spring can gobble near and far heap at an astounding rate)

I/O (how many config files can be read in and tracked by Factory)

CustomDispatcher calls Spring classes first then others second (FIlters and Servlets)

2)Rails which means you have to download, build Rails binary onto Apache 2.x which opens up
a whole new set of resource challenges when so many of these processes are called..More info
on RubyOnRails available at
http://rubyonrails.org

3)Struts is actually the lightest implementation with the fewest parts earliest implementations
actually did'nt define their own TagLibs defaulting to using standard JSTL and a very light
implementation to pass thru back-end-process requests to previously mapped Action configurations
defined in struts-config.xml
http://wiki.apache.org/struts/AjaxStruts

HTH
Martin