struts-user mailing list archives

From "Burton Rhodes" <burtonrho...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Advanced Struts 2 Validation Question...
Date Thu, 13 Nov 2008 16:24:43 GMT
Thanks to all!  Implementing Validatable was simple and works great.
I am thinking of moving all my action objects that need it to
Validatable. per Bill's suggestion...  one less file to worry about.
:)

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 9:58 AM, Dave Newton <newton.dave@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- On Thu, 11/13/08, Burton Rhodes wrote:
>> How do I use validation in an [Action]-validation.xml file
>> to validate several fields?
>>
>> I need to implement the following logic for 3 fields on a
>> form: Company, FirstName, LastName.
>>
>> Psedo Code:
>>
>> If Company empty, then FirstName and LastName must be filled
>> If FirstName and LastName empty, then Company Must be filled.
>>
>> I am having trouble seeing how this can be accomplished
>> with the "expression" validator type.
>
> Besides the expression help already provided, I'd add that personally I'd put this in
the Java code rather than in the XML file.

> It's probably just me, so take it with a grain of salt--as soon as anything gets even
a little bit complicated (this usage might not qualify as "complicated" since it's trivial,
so it's on the edge) I'll put it in a validate() method, possibly calling super.validate()
to handle simple XML-based validations. It's (generally) easier to debug in the Java code.

> With regards to doing it via JavaScript, sure, that's a viable solution, but until I
actually *apply* my patch to allow quick and easy custom JavaScript validations you'll have
to take the route of modifying the template as another poster mentioned, or do it a bit more
outside of the S2 JavaScript validation.

> (Hopefully I'll get to the patch this weekend, and I'll put it in a JIRA issue including
the patch so people can use it with previously-released versions.)