struts-user mailing list archives

From "Mileidys Gonzalez Prieto" <mileidys.gonza...@i-frontier.net>
Subject RE: Tabbed panel performance
Date Wed, 19 Nov 2008 16:28:58 GMT
I'm using tab panels with the ajaxtags library, and for me is very good.

Mileidys González Prieto
Consultant
i-Frontier

Henck Arronstraat 16 | P.O.Box 12858 | Paramaribo, Suriname (SA)
Office: (597)-424073 | Mobile: (597)-8810219
www.i-frontier.net

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeromy Evans [mailto:jeromy.evans@blueskyminds.com.au]
Sent: Tuesday, November 18, 2008 8:00 PM
To: Struts Users Mailing List
Subject: Re: Tabbed panel performance

Hi Pablo,

Consider creating a custom profile for dojo.  This makes a significant
improvement to the page load time as it reduces the number of http
requests (read on first though)
http://cwiki.apache.org/S2WIKI/creating-a-custom-dojo-profile-for-struts-20x
.html

The reload problem you're encountering is that you're either
accumulating too many objects in memory or too many nodes in the DOM.
Use Firebug to make sure the previous versions of the tabs are not still
in the DOM somewhere.  Next, you'll have to ensure the widgets objects
Dojo created are released from memory before creating them again after
the reload (I've never done this...not sure how to ask dojo to dispose
of them), and finally you'll have to ensure any listeners attached to
DOM nodes inside your tabs are released (this causes major memory leaks
in IE if they're not).  All of this has to be controlled using the Dojo
API, not the struts 2 tags.

The dojo struts2 tags in 2.1 include an attribute to control whether
dojo should parse the content for widgets.  This makes a significant
performance improvement rendering tabs that contain a lot of markup.
This feature is available in Struts 2.0 version of dojo, but not as an
attribute of the Struts2 tag.  Again, you'll have to dig into the
Dojo/widget API to enable the feature.

When I reached that point of complexity (and slowness) I stopped using
Dojo and switched to another library.  When you're using the Dojo API
the benefit of the struts2 tags is completely lost.  Most people love
JQuery. I use YUI. Dojo1.x looks good too, but I was too burnt to try
it. Migrating from the struts2 tags may be a significant effort if you
have a lot of notifiers in there, but JQuery and YUI are such a pleasure
to use compared to the Struts2 tags so I think you'll find conversion a
positive experience without regret.

Good luck!

regards,
 Jeromy Evans