struts-user mailing list archives

From Dale Newfield <d...@newfield.org>
Subject Re: SV: Ognl versions
Date Mon, 06 Oct 2008 18:33:45 GMT
Gunnar.Bostrom@tietoenator.com wrote:
> The jobTypelist is empty, but it worked with 2.6.11 version of ognl.
> The applications is our own.

So you're saying that the updated version doesn't silently fail, and
that's enough to condemn it?  I would argue that that's an improvement.

In fact, if you look in the source code for the exception stack you
provide, this is by design:

core/src/main/java/org/apache/struts2/components/ListUIBean.java:
>         if (value == null) {
>             if (throwExceptionOnNullValueAttribute) {
>                 // will throw an exception if not found
>                 value = findValue((list == null) ? (String) list : list.toString(), "list",
>                     "The requested list key '" + list + "' could not be resolved as a
collection/array/map/enumeration/iterator type. " +
>                     "Example: people or people.{name}");
>             }
>             else {
>                 // ww-1010, allows value with null value to be compatible with ww
>                 // 2.1.7 behaviour
>                 value = findValue((list == null)?(String) list:list.toString());
>             }
 >         }

So, in fact, what you're finding through your testing is a place where
ognl 2.6.11 is doing the wrong thing.

If you want silent failure, there's a flag to throw so that your app
gets it.  If you want to evaluate the correctness of a component, please
ensure you're testing what you think you're testing.

-Dale