struts-user mailing list archives

From Andreas Mähler <andreas.maeh...@stud.uni-karlsruhe.de>
Subject Re: [S2] Avoiding usage of struts-tags
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2008 23:54:08 GMT
Thank you for your quick answer, Jeromy!

Jeromy Evans schrieb:
>> do you know if the "communication" between the S2 Action and the
>> struts-tags is standardised? Or am I opening a black box if I replace
>> sth. like
>>
>> <s:textarea id="description" name="object.description" cols="40"
>> rows="6"/>
>>
>> with a VanillaHTML+JSTL version like
>>
>> <textarea id="description" name="object.description" cols="40"
>> rows="6">${object.description}</textarea>
>>
>> ?
>
> This approach is okay.  You will struggle with collections though (like
> populating the values of a select)
> An edge case is radio buttons as they include a hidden field (or was
> that checkboxes).  Just check the templates for what they render as html.

It was the checkboxes - i know about this issue (CheckboxInterceptor)
and i think that I can handle it :-) Haven't tried to replace
Collection-backed tags like s:select yet, but I think (using c:forEach)
it shouldn't be too painful aswell.

>> The reason I do this is because I don't like the struts-tags and OGNL.
>
> That's understandable, but the template system of the tags is quite good
> and it may be more productive to create better templates.

I've already tried that, but I don't know Freemaker yet and I don't even
like the code that is generated by the simple theme. (e.g: it was my
intention to write a 100% JavaScript-free webinterface) I also think
that the interface is quirky and not as straightforward as JSTL's (at
least the core tags - i rarely use the other stuff) - but that's just my
opinion. I think I've also discovered a bug in the s:colgroup tag, so I
can't use it. I've opened a ticket[1], but I think that I'm not allowed
to schedule it to - say - the 2.1.3 release (at least if I don't provide
a patch).

Greetings,
~Andreas

[1] https://issues.apache.org/struts/browse/WW-2758