struts-user mailing list archives

From Jeromy Evans <jeromy.ev...@blueskyminds.com.au>
Subject Re: ajax validation issue
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:00:25 GMT
Gawain Hammond wrote:
> A really nice solution so far has been to an action tag to populate
> forms, which has worked nicely the rest of the time. I've really liked
> using this approach to fill drop-downs, like so:
>
> <s:action namespace="/admin" name="crud.Group.listAll"
> id="groupAction"/>

> <s:select label="Group" name="user.group.id" value="%{user.group.id}"
>   list="%{#groupAction.list}" listKey="id" listValue="name"/>

That's a novel approach.  I like it.

> Using %{#groupAcation.list} to populate the drop down works great, but
> the only work around I've seen to fill the select box after validation
> returns to the form is rather messy:
>
> http://struts.apache.org/2.1.2/docs/how-do-we-repopulate-controls-when-v
> alidation-fails.html

I don't see why the above approach wouldn't be working after a
validation failure.  When the INPUT result is returned it presumably
renders the same JSP (and doesn't do a redirect).  The problem occurs
when the context/valuestack doesn't contain something you're expecting
(such as the list for the select).
Can you confirm whether "crud.Group.listAll" is invoked after a
validation failure?

> Knowing ajax validation will only work with xhtml/css_html theme is
> helpful, I've been using ajax all along which may explain some issues.

That should read client-side validation.

> You said to use the default interceptor stack for 2.1.2, and the
> documentation I read says to use 'jsonValidationWorkflowStack' do I need
> both of them or will just the default stack work?

jsonValidationWorkflowStack is correct one.

The autocompleter works because it performs a separate request to
populate the permitted values.  Your case is just that the list for the
selects is empty or null.