struts-user mailing list archives

From Dave Newton <newton.d...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: OGNL
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2008 12:17:21 GMT
--- On Fri, 8/22/08, Muralidhar Y wrote:
> What is value stack?

The value stack is both a stack (where the current action is pushed, the object of an iterator
tag is pushed (on top of the action), etc.

It's also a context, though--it stores some named objects (like #session and #attr) by default,
and we can add our own (most easily via tags like <s:set...>, <s:url...> etc.)

> exactly how to write OGNL?

The OGNL home [1] has a link to a user manual.

> Sometimes we use "%{}" notation, sometimes we use "${}" notation?

The only time you ever use "${}" notation for OGNL is in configuration, both XML and annotations.
That's a wart; it's unfortunate that it uses a different escape sequence there (and actually
messes me up a little bit as I'm fond of code generation and used ${} a lot :/

In things like JSP pages "${}" is plain old JSP EL notation.

Dave

[1] OGNL home: http://www.ognl.org/