struts-user mailing list archives

From "Ajaneesh Rajashekharaiah" <ajane...@TechMahindra.com>
Subject Type Casting through OGNL expressions.
Date Fri, 04 Jul 2008 15:20:44 GMT

Hi,

I want to do the following, would like to understand if it is possible
at all before proceeding any further.

basically i am working on generating dynamic screens based on Apache
XmlBeans generated classes.

While the following is not exactly what i am doing, it will help drive
the idea home...

i have a number of XSD files for which i generate XmlBeans binding
files.  All these classes are basically of type XmlObject.
Understandably, each class would have diffferent setters and getters
based on the XSD.  In my action class, i want to declare a property with
just the underlying interface (i.e.  XmlObject).  I am in a position to
generate the dynamic screen based on the XML schema... but how do i
populate those back to my XmlObject property?

for e.g.  Action class has

XmlObject xmlObject;

public XmlObject getXmlObject() {
 // snip...
}
public void setXmlObject(XmlObject xmlObject) {
 // snip...
}

Suppose i am dealing with a XML with a structure such as
<TopLevel>
    <SecondLevel>
        <ThirdLevel>
    <SecondLevelMore>
        <ThirdLevel>

Let us assume my schema based XmlObject classes will have the same names
as node names.  So TopLevel *is a* XmlObject.

I want to set values from a HTML form using a OGNL expression....

xmlObject.secondLevel.thirdLevel
xmlObject.secondLevelMore.thirdLevel

Obviously, OGNL runtime cannot find setSecondLevel() on xmlObject unless
it has a way of casting it to *TopLevel*

I have been researching a solution to this problem for a long time.,, I
found something on TypeConvertors, havent tried it yet and honestly not
able to tell if it is a solution to my problem :-)

Can someone help me with this?  Am i asking for too much or is this
actually possible??  If it *is* possible, will it execute with
reasonable performance?

Any response will be greatly appreciated so that i can atleast take an
alternative approach immediately.

regards

ajaneesh

Disclaimer: